- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dark baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, place evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla in a blender jar; cover and process 30 seconds. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Add to milk mixture; cover and process 30-45 seconds or until thickened and smooth, stopping to scrape blender jar as needed. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Sue's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
"This was really good.I made the cake exactly as the recipe says. Next time, I will modify it by using a little less sugar.I used powdered sugar in the frosting as suggested by some of the other reviewers. I didn't see how the frosting would thicken. But I mixed it in my bullet mixer for a longer time than the recipe called for and it thickened enough to spread on the cake.Tasted great, and would make again!!"
"This is really yummy! I used powdered sugar for the frosting because I noticed someone said it was a bit grainy using regular sugar. The frosting was amazing! I also used less sugar in the cake and substituted a bit of whole wheat flour to make it a bit healthier. It is really delicious! No one in my family even knew that it had zucchini it it."
"Had a guest coming who's intolerant of gluten so I made this cake with a few changes - delicious! Instead of flour I used organic green banana flour (really) and it worked! Very moist cake. I might use less or no cinnamon next time. Just a personal preference. I also didn't have all the ingredients for the frosting so I made a traditional chocolate buttercream recipe. Tasty but not heavy."
"This was a wonderfully moist great tasting chocolate cake ! It baked up so nicely!"
"cake was very heavy - won't make again"
"Not bad, but nothing to write home about. I probably won't make it again. Not a huge fan of the frosting -- felt like it should be blended longer, but my vitamix blender was actually struggling. The regular sugar in the frosting makes it actually a bit crunchy, whereas I want my frosting smooth. cake is moist with a good flavor -- tastes like it has zucchini,which makes sense, but it seems more obvious here."
"Very good. I was doubtful how the frosting would turn out, but it came out great. Like others, I did not have the dark chocolate cocoa (just regular Hershey's cocoa), and I barely added cinnamon, but this is very tasty. I will make it again—especially when we have so much zucchini from the garden. **i just made this again with the dark chocolate cocoa and double the zucchini (just had to cook longer): It's even better with the dark cocoa. Also, I tried the frosting in a food processor instead of blender, and it only reached "thick ganache" (still glaze-y at room temp); for true fudge frosting (still dense, but a true frosting), definitely use the blender. This is a fantastic cake for chocolate lovers. If you have some tender summer zucchini left, be sure to try it! Thank you, Sue!"
"I am growing my own zucchinis this year, so I was so excited to try this recipe! It did not disappoint! My youngest daughter who happens to be worlds pickiest eater said it was the best chocolate cake in the history of the world!! Thanks Sue for sharing!!"
"This cake if very moist, loved it. I like cinnamon but next time I would leave it out. Recommended it to friends, they loved it also."
"This cake got rave reviews at our holiday weekend picnic. It is rich and moist, and it reminds me of the chocolate cakes my aunt used to make. Of course when I told the guys that it has 2 cups of shredded zucchini in it, their response was, "That means it's good for us!""