Streusel-Topped Plum Muffins Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh plums
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Fold in plums. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 15 muffins.
Reviews for Streusel-Topped Plum Muffins(7)
Sort By :
I used a mixture of plums and nectarines, and the muffins were excellent. They were devoured minutes after putting a plate of them out for my family.
I think it would be helpful to add "firm" to the "fresh plums" in the instructions. I purchased plums at a Farmer's Market in my area; the fruit was ripe. I had quite a mess on my hands--juice everywhere when I began cutting the plums. I drained them, even tried to squeeze out more of the juice, as I was afraid that so much would affect the batter. The plums disintegrated when I tried to fold them into the batter. The cake itself was very nice, delicate. I'm undecided whether to make this recipe again; if I do, I may try another fruit.
Made this using peaches instead -- Yum!
We have 3 Italian prune plum trees and these are a fantastic way to use them up. I make them every Fall. Very tender, almost cake-like muffin
I love plums, so I had to try this recipe, and it was fantastic! A new favorite.