- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro and additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, mash one can beans with a fork; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the mashed beans, broth, corn, carrot, chilies, cumin, chili powder and remaining beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with cilantro and additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Southwestern Bean Chowder
"I have this recipe in a Taste of Home "Best Loved healthy Recipes" cookbook. The picture and ingredients led me to try this chowder -- it is a little bland as other reviewers said. I even used extra sharp white cheddar cheese and the cilantro. It was good; but next time, I may add a little taco seasoning to see if that spices it up - maybe even a fresh jalapeno."
"not as spicy as I thought it would be."
"Its different....i don't know that I will be making it again."
"My husband and I are both diabetics and I am always looking for good tasting recipes. I picked up the taste of home diabetic family friendly cookbook at my local grocery store. This is the first recipe I tried, if the others are even half this good, I'll be happy. Thank You Taste od Home"
"I can see where some of the reviewers said this was bland. I think the extra cheese and cilantro really add to it, so make sure you put it on. Otherwise, it def. needs something."
"Like some other people have said, it was a bit bland. I've had better southwest soup (e.g. southwest corn chowder on this site)."
"This was a delicious chowder! I have made it several times. Since I cook for 2 now, we had it as leftovers and it still tasted great."
"Very flavorful soup. We enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of cilantro so I left it out. Thanks very much for the recipe!"
"this recipe is definitely a KEEPER... I added 14 oz can diced tomatoes w/jalapeno peppers...and put scoop of sour cream and I broke up blue tortilla chips in each bowl...Everyone went back for seconds."
"I thought this soup was delicious and receive compliments whenever I make it. I was surprised to see that the other reviews thought it was bland. I've made it several times now, and add rotisserie chicken."