- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Honey, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a loose ball forms (dough will be crumbly).
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 squares with a knife or cut into 12 circles using a round biscuit cutter.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas for 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Serve with honey and/or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sopaipillas
Sort By :
"flavorful, easy to make. prefer without the sweeteners, goes well with spicy foods such as mexican or indian."
"Terrible. Just flavorless crackers. Nothing like what the photo portrays as the end result. Even the honey didn't help."
"One of the best Sopaipillas recipes I have tried in years - will make again"
"Very tasty, and so much fun to make!"
"I wasn't to pleased with these. The dough was tough to roll out and when i deep fried them they didn't rise...Nothing like the photo, Very Disappointing :("