Soft Pretzel Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cut each into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a 20-in. rope. Shape into a pretzel.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 32 pretzels.
Reviews for Soft Pretzel(6)
Sort By :
I made these into ropes and instead of shaping like a pretzel, I cut the ropes into 1" pieces. Perfect size for snacks. I also shaped some ropes into pretzels as well.
I know this sounds weird, but try this recipe for a homemade pizza crust! It's great! Thanks for the recipe!
Made these for years for my kids. I add a cheese sauce for dipping:8 oz. American cheese, cubed, 1 pkg. 3oz. cream cheese, 1-2T milk, l/2t. mustard. Put in micro till melted 2-3 min. stir in milk. serve w/pretzels. Great!
Easy and fun. I made them larger than recommended, and they were fantastic!
This was one of the most dissapointing recipes I've ever tried. I didn't even have the heart to feed the leftovers to my critters outside!!!