- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add the brown sugar, milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Reviews for Soft Chewy Caramels
Sort By :
"This is an awesome recipe, love it. Thanks Hoosier Texan for the pizza cutter idea it worked great and made the cutting and wrapping in the waxed paper so much easier!"
"This is basically the same recipe I've used for over 45 years. It is really hard to beat, and everyone loves them and begs for more. In fact, this week I have to make 800 of them for a fundraiser that will go in the guest's goodie bags. I have been asked to make them for this same fundraiser for the past 3 years, ever since those in charge tasted them. I find that if I let them sit in my 9x13 pan until not quite cool, but cool to the touch, and then dump the entire pan out onto a piece of parchment paper, I can quickly cut the strips with my pizza cutter, and then snip off pieces with kitchen scissors before wrapping them in waxed paper. If I wait until totally cooled, the cutting process takes longer."
"These sound great! I tried a sous vide caramel recipe (http://bit.ly/saltedcaramel1B) not long ago, and it was absolutely delicious, so I'm really excited to give this one a try as well."
"These are absolutely wonderful! I've been making them for a few years now at Christmas to give as gifts and everyone loves them. I've added different extracts to make flavored caramels with great success. I've used orange and rum, so far. The only thing I've done differently with this recipe, other than the extracts, is cooking it to 244 deg. instead of 250 deg. I have no trouble with the caramel setting as long as I use my candy thermometer. Lastly, I wrap the individual caramels in wax paper which works great!"
"The absolute best ever soft caramel. I've been using this recipe for years."