- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. angel-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening, lemon juice and enough water to reach a spreading consistency. Spread or pipe over cookies; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Snow Angel Cookies in Taste of Home November 2014, p62
Reviews for Snow Angel Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review