I earned a merit badge by dreaming up these cupcakes for a Cub Scouts meeting. You should have seen the grins when the kids bit into the chocolate kisses in the middle. My husband and grandkids say I don't make them often enough.
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 30 milk chocolate kisses
- 1 can (16 ounces) fudge frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine the buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cupcake until batter completely covers candy.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Secret Kiss Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2004, p33
Reviews for Secret Kiss Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2014
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2008
"I made these with my two grandboys ages 3 & 5 1/2,They enjoyed stirring & pushing the "Kisses" into the batter. The 5 1/2 year old scored big time by taking them to share with his classmates & the teacher praised him for being a good cook."