I earned a merit badge by dreaming up these cupcakes for a Cub Scouts meeting. You should have seen the grins when the kids bit into the chocolate kisses in the middle. My husband and grandkids say I don't make them often enough.
Recommended: 45 Valentine's Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 30 milk chocolate kisses
- 1 can (16 ounces) fudge frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine the buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cupcake until batter completely covers candy.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Secret Kiss Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2004, p33
Reviews for Secret Kiss Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2014
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2008
"I made these with my two grandboys ages 3 & 5 1/2,They enjoyed stirring & pushing the "Kisses" into the batter. The 5 1/2 year old scored big time by taking them to share with his classmates & the teacher praised him for being a good cook."