Savory Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings (about 1 quart).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Savory Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
"This is a very good spaghetti sauce recipe. I went a little heavier, however, with the spices to add some additional flavor. I couldn't find fresh oregano at my grocery store so I opted for fresh basil. The recipe calls for just a teaspoon of fresh basil, however, I added approximately 3/4 of a cup. I like my sauces extra sweet, so I added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, rather than the 2 teaspoons of sugar called for in the recipe. All in all, it was a spicy, delicious sauce that was enjoyed by the whole family."
"This recipe is hands down a keeper. I followed it exactly only adding red peppers flakes for spice and parm. cheese b/c of personal preference. Absolutely delicious, simple and makes the house smell great while you're putting it together. One thing though. This is a very small recipe...I'm not sure if the submitter with the 12 children is only feeding her top favorite 3 kids :-) with this but whatever you do, double/triple the batch. We are only a couple and we each had one serving with 1 somewhat large serving leftover for my husband's lunch tomorrow. If you are a family of four you will definitely want to make more."
"Excellent! Didn't change a thing and it was perfect! Even better the 2nd day so try to double the batch."
"I've been making this meat sauce ever since it appeared in the TOH in '94. My family really enjoys the flavors of the meat sauce. We love to dip the garlic bread in the sauce."
"Its a great sauce! I'll definatly make it again but double the batch. I made it adding 1/3 cup of sugar as suggested but will probably only add 1/4 cup next time."