- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans (about 6 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef in batches. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In same pan, cook and stir onion until lightly browned. Add to beef. In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth; add to slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients and water.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Satisfying Beef Stew
"This is almost just like my recipe except I use Italian diced tomatoes and a can of tomatoes juice. I don't use cloves either. It is a tasty stew."
"I was hoping this stew would be as good as all the reviews but it's not. It was very simple to make. I was wanting athe taste of an old fashion home Cookin beef stew. If I fix this again, I will definitely not put in Italian flavored tomato sauce. It does have a tomatoey taste as well as it certainly has an Italian taste; not the taste I was hoping for. Two cups of corn is way to much. Think I will cut back to one cup. I would only use 2 medium potatoes and 1/2 cup of carrots. The Italian flavored tomatoe sauce ruined it for me and it definitely doesn't resemble the photo at all. An expensive meal to not be good. Sorry but I give it 1 star at most because I of the taste. Very disappointed."
"The BEST beef stew I have ever had! My family loves it!! I too added the can of diced tomatoes. Delicious!!"
"My daughter doesn't like tomatoes so I didn't add the extra can of tomatoes as another reviewer did, but I did put in the 15 oz can of tomato sauce in and since it wasn't too tomatoey she happily ate it without even asking if there were tomatoes in it. Score one for mom!"
"This is a hearty and very tasty stew! I followed the recipe precisely except for one thing. I added a can of diced tomato (Italian flavor) and it was delicious. My entire family loved it! Will definitely be making it again!"
"Excellent! Stew was hearty and very tasty! I did add one thing which was diced tomatoes (Italian flavor). My family loved this stew and I will definitely be making it again!"
"This is a really great tasting stew and there is just one thing I would change. The recipe has too much black pepper so would maybe cut that in half. I also did not add the cloves. It has a great flavor and I will definitely make this again."