- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Sandy's Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"I'm a sucker for chocolate cake, but was surprised to see the hot water is added at the end of mixing the batter. I use Hershey's special dark cocoa and I always 'pre-disolve' the cocoa with hot, strong coffee. Then I add it to the batter, making for a super dark cake. The only change I made in this recipe was taking 1/3 cup water and replacing with hot coffee to dissolve my cocoa powder. Delicious cake!!"
"This is one the best if not the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted or made!!!! I always use a little extra chocolate in all my recipes plus I used pure Mexican vanilla in this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Sandy!!!"
"I made this for Christmas and it was so, so, good!! Too much for my husband and I but we finished it 4 days later and pounds heavier!! Truly a wonderful cake! Thank you for the recipe. Oh, and the frosting was THE best ever!!!!"
"Wow! Rich and moist and chocolate pow! I think this is the best scratch cake recipe I have tried yet. I am not a baker, so I steer clear of those recipes calling for cake flour and super careful measuring. The hot water part scared me a little but I followed the directions exactly and it was perfect. The amount of frosting is very generous, and my husband thought it was perfect even though it was a little too sweet for my taste. I will be making this again and again. Thanks for sharing this, I can see why it won a prize!"
"This is truly the most delicious chocolate cake I have ever tasted. It's rich and creamy. I will be making it for Christmas Eve. I have no doubt it will be a hit. Thanks you for sharing."