Due to diet restrictions, I tried making sandwiches without meat. This sandwich turned out to be one of my favorites.
- 8 onion slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place onion slices in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic; brush half over the onions. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Bake onions, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes or until tender. Add red peppers; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Meanwhile, slice bread in half lengthwise, then cut into fourths. Carefully hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Place bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until toasted. Layer with onions, red peppers and cheese on bottom halves of bread. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining bread. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Pepper and Onion Sandwiches in Country Extra July 2000, p51
Reviews for Roasted Pepper and Onion Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review