- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups diced rhubarb
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- For filling, blend flour and cream in a bowl until smooth. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar and egg yolks; mix well. Fold in vanilla and rhubarb. Pour into crust. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make a meringue by beating egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from oven; top with meringue immediately and broil lightly. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Squares in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p13
Reviews for Rhubarb Squares(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2009
Perhaps one of the absolute best deserts I have ever made,( and I have made many) It melts in your mouth, especially when it is slightly warm. 5 stars from me!!!