Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder Recipe
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder(16)
Sort By :
Excellent taste and easy to make.
Usually I change recipes, but not this one. Excellent as is! One time, I didn't have ham so I substituted chopped cooked chicken and it was just as good.
Yum, but too thick, I reduced the flour to 1/2 cup and it turns out perfect. I also increased the pepper to 1/2 tsp and try adding two cups of diced sweet potato for addl flavor/nuitrition.
I have been making this soup recipe for several years, my family expects it every Christmas. It is an excellent soup, good to the last drop!.
Followed the recipe exactly thinking I would tweak it later. Didn't have to. Quite delicious and received compliments from picky eaters.