Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder Recipe
This is the perfect soup to warm up with on a cold fall or winter day. Serve it in a bread bowl to make it extra special. —Rhodes Bake-N-Serv, Jenna Jackson, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder in Country Woman January/February 1998, p41
Reviews for Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 13, 2013
Made this chowder to use up some leftover ham - it was fabulous! My husband loved the flavor & heartiness of this soup. We had a big tossed salad along with the chowder and it was a perfect meal. Thanks for a great recipe!