- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder
Sort By :
"I've made this twice now and my family absolutely love it! What a treat on a cold, bitter day. I'm having a bowl right now! I add some lemon pepper, dried parsley and paprika for a little color, otherwise didn't change a thing!"
"Delicious! Good even without the bread bowl. Will definitely make again!"
"My family and I really enjoyed this recipe. I followed the recipe except instead of using 3/4 cup flour and butter and used 1/2 cup of flour and butter to cut down on calories since my son told me I was chubby. I think next time I will substitute 1 1/2 cups cauliflower for the potatoes."
"Excellent taste and easy to make."
"Usually I change recipes, but not this one. Excellent as is! One time, I didn't have ham so I substituted chopped cooked chicken and it was just as good."