- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (8 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place first nine ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup cream until smooth; stir into soup. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, bacon, cilantro and remaining cream. Cook, covered, on low until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Serve with remaining cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Potato Soup
"Delicious. Family loved it and I can't wait to make again. Thanks for sharing a great recipe with us. I agree, I think the cilantro adds so much to this recipe."
"I followed directions, this soup was not good and I'm being cordial. Pulled the leftover soup out of the fridge to heat up later and it had set up like jello due to all the flour used as the thickening agent. That is gross since this is supposed to be soup? Also agree, very bland could taste no seasoning including the cilantro. The onion flavor was overwhelming. Unhealthy soup, that's my last attempt at potato soup!"
"Creamy and hearty. The whole family loved it."
"I know this one is going to be AWESOME, simply love potato soup!!!"
"I made this soup today for my family and they loved it! The only difference was I used fat free half and half instead of heavy cream, since that is what I had on hand and to cut down on the calories, cubed ham instead of the bacon and carrots to replace the peppers. I didn't add any extra spices and it wasn't bland as others have stated. It is so hearty and flavorful, the cilantro is a must! Thanks for the recipe, will definitely make this again!"
"~My entire family LOVED this soup! Other than switching out the peppers for a carrot (personal taste), I completely followed the recipe and we couldn't be happier! It is flavorful and rich, and really hits the spot. I will use the bread bowls next time and then this wonderful soup will be better than Panera bread's!! Yes, it IS that good. It's a keeper!"
"Rather bland, and I knew from years of experience that the sage & garlic would not even be noticed, so I doubled the amounts called for. Still turned out to be a very bland soup. Husband agreed. Would not make again."
"A great soup on its own. I make my own richly flavored broth for the recipe using two large smoked turkey legs. Add legs to pot, cover with water, add 2 celery ribs (chunked), 1 large onion (chopped), 2 bay leaves, 1 tbs. peppercorns, cover and simmer until meat falls away from bone. Reserve meat and discard bones. Strain and defat broth. Use reserved meat in place of bacon. I also used leeks in place of the onion for the finished soup. Otherwise all other ingredients are the same."
"A winner! We replaced the whipping cream with milk (it was all we had) and added crushed red pepper flakes. It turned out great."
"I made this for the first time last night and it was AMAZING!!!! This soup is going to be a regular meal in our house. My son recently got his first deer, so I added some ground venison to the soup and it just made it that much better. The roasted red peppers and cilantro are a must! They add soooooo much flavor! An excellent soup!!!!"