- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3-1/2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 22 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, potatoes, beans, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Potato-Lentil Stew
"This is a descent stew. I'm in the process of moving, so I'm trying to use up my pantry items as well as find fast things to cook. This met both criteria; however, I'm not sure if I would make again. I ate a lot of hot sauce with mine. I felt like it need an extra kick."
"Good Recipe !!!"
"Too spicy for my family. Would try it again with less heat. Used a hearty dollop of sour cream to cool it down."
"Loved the recipe."
"At first my husband didn't like it real well. But he next day he decided it was very good."
"This was very easy to make and full of flavor. Definitely will make again."
"Awesome soup! We made it while stranded in the house during a snowstorm. Definately will make it again. Yum!"
"I would definitely make this again...so much flavor, this is going to be a regular in my house for sure. I didn't have tomato and chiles but used diced tomatoes and olive oil. I added a little green pepper, but not much. It was so very tasty. And so filling!"
"Delicious and hearty! Diced tomatoes with green chilies are quite hot, I usually use one can with and one without the chilies. Also have substituted chicken broth for the veg broth since that's what I had on hand."
"Easy to make, add a salad and some rolls you are all set."