- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In a small bowl, toss onion with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, mustard seed, mustard, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in onion; simmer 3 minutes longer or until onion is heated through, stirring often.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Pickled Onion in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p13
Reviews for Pickled Onion
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 5, 2010
"Good with hamburger too. Just perfect."
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2009
"great recipe, I've been complimented on it many times and share he recipe often"