- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In a small bowl, toss onion with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, mustard seed, mustard, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in onion; simmer 3 minutes longer or until onion is heated through, stirring often.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Pickled Onion in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p13
Reviews for Pickled Onion
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 5, 2010
Good with hamburger too. Just perfect.
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2009
great recipe, I've been complimented on it many times and share he recipe often