Peppermint Meltaways Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, extract and, if desired, food coloring; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; sprinkle with crushed candies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Peppermint Meltaways
Sort By :
"The best thing about these cookies!!! They get better after a few days. I bake a lot at Christmas time. And I like to have a variety. So anything I can make in advance is wonderful. So at least 3 days or more prior to is when I make them. There is a similar but chocolate version out there too. It's the same with those 3 or more days and the flavor is much better. Just store in plastic ware and in a cool place. My garage isn't heated. And who would think to look out there for sweets....!"
"They really do melt away in your mouth."
"These were wonderful"
"My cookies turned out very pretty. I added a few drops of green food coloring for Christmas. I will probably not make again though--the taste of the cornstarch is very overpowering."
"These are great cookies. This is my first year making them and it will not be the last. I had a lot of fun making them. I used peppermint oil in stead of extract!"