- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
Sort By :
"A family hit. Nice size for a little family treat. No adjustments, simple and basic ingredients. This recipe is a keeper."
"Great made from scratch yellow cake."
"Love! I made some changes, used butter instead of shortening. I also found out after I started making the frosting that I didn't have powdered sugar. I ended up drizzling the brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the cake. It was amazing, don't think I'll even add the powdered sugar next time."
"Made this cake for our 3rd. Son 25 Birthday today he loved it :)grandchildren enjoyed helping making it, (also so delicious and moist)! Thank u!"
"such a great recipe for a yellow cake , moist with rich flavor, i made it more than once already! thanks a lot for sharing the recipe"