Oatmeal Gingersnaps Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Gingersnaps(40)
Sort By :
These are great! I flattened mine only slightly. I used butter in place of shortening & I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a bag of cinnamon chips! I rolled some in turbinado sugar and some it course white sugar. Both sugars added a nice crunch. I will make these again!
The best fall cookie recipe....
Hubby loved these and they do have a homey, spicy aroma when baking. I added cinnamon to mine as well and threw in some butterscotch chips which added to the flavor. I agree they wouldn't have to be rolled in sugar.
Delicious recipe! I followed the recipe except added tiny bits of candied ginger. Next time, I wouldn't bother to roll them in sugar. Makes them a little too sweet.
These were good, not great in my opinion. I'll be on the lookout for a better gingersnap recipe but this one will do in the meantime.