- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Gingersnaps
"I found these to be good, but they did not stay as soft as I would like them. I did use cinnamon chips in half the batch, and they came out nice. I think I like plain gingersnaps the best, and I have another recipe that the cookies stay very soft. But, I DO like these."
"My these today,awesome!"
"I omitted the cloves, replaced that amount of cloves with another tsp of ginger, added a tsp of cinnamon and used butter flavored Crisco in place of the plain shortening and pressed them thinner so they would have a nice snap to them. 10 minutes is the perfect cooking time"
"Nice cookies, I doubled the ginger and added 1 tsp of cinnamon. Also subbed butter for the shortening. I think they really needed more ginger than 1 tsp"
"These are great! I flattened mine only slightly. I used butter in place of shortening & I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a bag of cinnamon chips! I rolled some in turbinado sugar and some it course white sugar. Both sugars added a nice crunch. I will make these again!"