- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 8 to 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, sugars, salt, oregano, chili powder and mustard. Stir in the beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
- Serve immediately with spaghetti, or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen spaghetti sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Spaghetti Sauce
"I added shredded carrots and diced squash. Yum!"
"excellent....made no changes. My husband said it was the best sauce I had made....and it's easy."
"I already did all of what this recipe called for, except the mustard, ketchup and chili powder. I felt like my recipe was always lacking until i added those! It is amazing. It adds just enough kick to be perfect and doesn't take from the spaghetti taste at all. I often subsitute and 8oz can of tomato sauce instead of ketchup and that works just fine. Every time I make this recipe my husband thinks it's new and makes sure to tell me to write it down. He is always surprised at how good it is! Definitely a keeper!"
"This is a really good sauce recipe and it has a somewhat different flavor than others I have tried."