Looking for a special-occasion dessert that's easy to fix? Try these golden puffs with a chocolaty filling from Aimee Kirk (at right with husband Rance) of Jacksonville, Alabama.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop batter into four mounds 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove puffs to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For the filling, in a small saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons cream, chocolate chips, sugar and salt. Cook over low heat until the chips are melted; stir until blended. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in the vanilla, coffee and remaining cream.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Beat filling until stiff. Fill cream puffs just before serving; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 cream puffs.
Originally published as Mocha Cream Puffs in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p10
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mocha Cream Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review