- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 cups coffee ice cream
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until completely cooled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, slice pound cake horizontally into three layers. Cut cake into six 3-in. circles; brush tops with coffee (save remaining cake for another use).
- Line six jumbo muffin cups with foil liners. Spoon ice cream into each. Top with ganache, spreading evenly. Place cake, coffee side down, over ganache, pressing gently. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg white mixture reaches 160°, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add vanilla and salt; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Invert layered cakes onto an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; remove foil liners. Immediately spread meringue over cakes, sealing to cover completely.
- Heat with a kitchen torch or broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mocha Baked Alaskas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p177
Reviews for Mocha Baked Alaskas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review