Meatball Cabbage Rolls Recipe
My mother would often have these cabbage rolls simmering in her slow cooker when my family and I arrived at her house for week-end visits. The mouthwatering meatballs tucked inside made these stand out from any other cabbage rolls I've tried.Betty Buckmaster, Muskogee, Oklahoma
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 cans (one 15 ounces and one 8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and garlic powder to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 14-16 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine 8 oz. of tomato sauce, onion, rice, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place one meatball on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose meatball. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour remaining tomato sauce over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and cabbage is tender. Discard toothpicks Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Cabbage Rolls in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p68
Reviews for Meatball Cabbage Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2013
The recipe says to use 14-16 leaves of cabbage for 4-6 servings but the Nutritional Facts indicate that one serving is "1 each". Do the Nutritional Facts need to be corrected?
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cabbage Casserole >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >