- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) Mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Cannoli Cake
Sort By :
This is a beautiful and delicious cake. The frosting is heavenly. The recipe does make a lot of frosting. I had no problems with any of the ingredients or instructions.
Considering making for a friend's birthday. Thank you for tips regarding draining liquid from cheese(s). Thank you also for sharing recipe.
I made this recipe exactly as written with no problems whatsoever. I had no problems with any of the ingredients being too "runny." It was a huge hit taste-wise and was a gorgeous cake!
I made this cake for my boyfriend's birthday and it was wonderful and very easy. I drained the ricotta cheese during the day and a little liquid came out then I continued to drain it overnight and much more came out. It was a great consistency and delicious!!! I agree with other comments about cutting the frosting in half. I had a lot left over.
Wish I had read the reviews before I made the cake. How hard would it be to add drain the ricotta to the recipe and increase the powdered sugar. Made the cake for company and hoping that it firms up in the refrigerator before they get here. I'm a little annoyed. It seems that people had to make a lot of adjustments to make this cake.....hope it tastes as good as they say. I think the original recipe is a little disappointing for a Taste of Home recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Italian Desserts >