- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Marshmallow-Filled Banana Cupcakes
"Easy and delicious - a huge hit with adults and kids. Took these to work - devoured in a few short minutes. Very moist."
"Wonderful cupcakes. Was a little hard to make due to being messy. But, now that I know how, the next ones will be a breeze and YES, I will make these often! Took some to work and everyone is begging for repeats!"
"These were really good. My kids love marshmallows so this was a huge hit. They are a bit on the sweet side so you could omit the filling to reduce the sweetness."
"These were just a little too sweet with the filling and icing. If I make them again I will either fill them or ice them not both but the actual cupcake recipe was very good"
"Excellent! I added coconut to the batter and they were delicious. My husband isn't a "cupcake" person and said that these were possibly the best cupcakes he has ever had."