- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large kohlrabi bulb, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kohlrabi, celery, onions and carrots; cook 5 minutes or until onions are softened. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, beans and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; simmer 5 minutes more. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Market Basket Soup in Taste of Home December 2016
Reviews for Market Basket Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2017
"This was very filling and fresh-tasting. My grocery store didn't have kohlrabi so I used a turnip. I also made a half batch and still had leftovers since this makes a very large batch to start with."