Bazaar Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, sorted
- 1/4 cup dried green split peas, sorted
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 4 teaspoons beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-pint jar or container with a tight-fitting lid, layer the first nine ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small piece of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 1 batch (1-1/2 cups).
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from top of jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in reserved pasta; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta, lentils, peas and barley are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 158 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 30, 2013
This is a great soup. Very easy to make and good for you. I've made it with chopped onions rather than dried onions and its good that way too.
Jan 10, 2013
I made this jar mix for Christmas this year; it was a huge hit and so easy to make. The only thing I changed was I use a full pound of hamburger.
Jan 9, 2013
My husband and I made this wonderful recipe to share with our friends and neighbors for Christmas. Everyone has enjoyed it. When our jars were full, there was some of this, some of that remaining. We made a pot of soup for ourselves. So glad we shared it - was sooooo good!!!!!
Dec 8, 2012
We are on the 2nd batch,my husband loves this, esp. on these cold days. thank you.
Nov 13, 2012
Soup is one of my favorite things to eat in the fall & winter. This soup did not disappoint. Loved the flavor. The only thing I did different was I cooked the pasta separately and just added some to each individual bowl. I was afraid that the pasta would continue cooking in the hot soup and eventually turn to mush.
Jan 22, 2011
Made several jars and gave to friends. We all enjoyed.
Oct 28, 2010
I found this recipe and made it one day when I had no fresh produce and wanted a hearty soup. All I can say is, WOW! I LOVE this soup! I ended up making a whole bunch of little "soup packets" and stashing them in my cupboard so I could pull out a ready-made pack and tossing it together with a little hamburger and can of tomatoes - I prefer crushed. This soup has great flavor and it is pretty when all the ingredients are layered - it's a keeper at my house!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.