- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add egg whites and oil; beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl, mash strawberries in their juice. Set aside 3 tablespoons for icing. Add water and remaining berries to the batter; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine butter and reserved strawberries. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with half of the icing. Repeat layers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Strawberry Cake
"Very sweet and tasty! I used dairy free margarine in the icing and it would not set up. Next time i might try the butter-flavored Crisco and see how that does."
"Made this for Father's Day and got rave reviews! So moist and yummy. It's nice to have something other than chocolate and this totally hit the spot."
"Pretty, yummy and light. The cake has a very NATURAL strawberry flavor. I added some strawberry jam to make the frosting more spreadable, so could use a little more pureed strawberries in the frosting. This cake would be perfect for a girl's birthday party or Valentines Day. Definately a keeper."
"Great summer cake. Strawberry flavor is not overpowering. The berries are pureed so there are no chunks of berries in the cake. The taste reminded me of the Crunch Berries (cereal) I used to love when I was growing up!"
"I made this cake for the first time for a potluck and everyone loved it! I had mothers come up to me saying the cake was better than their grandmothers and mothers past on recipes. I know I will make this again, so easy and tastes great!"