- 4 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 medium green peppers
- Strawberries, grapes, and chunks of honeydew, cantaloupe, star fruit and pineapple
- 1 whole pineapple
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Pour into an 8-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise for base of palm trees. Make a hole in the uncut side of potato halves that's large enough to hold a carrot; set aside. For tree trunks, use a sharp knife to make a thin petal-shaped cut on one side of each carrot toward the bottom, leaving slice attached. Rotate carrot a quarter turn and make another cut. Repeat one or two more times around carrot. Make another series of cuts about 1-1/2 in. above first set. Make a third series of cuts about 1-1/2 in. above second set. Insert carrots into potatoes.
- For palm leaves, cut tops off green peppers and remove seeds (discard tops or save for another use). Make deep V-shape cuts around bottom edge of pepper. Place a pepper on top of each carrot; secure with toothpicks.
- Thread fruit onto wooden skewers; insert into whole pineapple. Unmold gelatin ring and place on a 19-in. x 12-in. platter. Place whole pineapple in center of gelatin, and palm trees and any additional chunks of fruit around gelatin. Yield: 1 centerpiece.
Originally published as Luau Centerpiece in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p48
Reviews for Luau Centerpiece
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2011
this was a very fun recipe, but watch when you start to remove the fruit it might fall