Lemon Oat Bars Recipe
A sweet oat mixture does double-duty as crust and topping for these refreshing lemon bars from Margaret Scoresby of Mosinee, Wisconsin. “One of my college roommates gave me this recipe many years ago, and I’ve been making it for my family for years,” she says.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into a greased 9-in. square baking pan; set remaining oat mixture aside. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, lemon juice and peel. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Oat Bars in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p14
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Oat Bars(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 10, 2011
This was enjoyed by my entire family. I liked that it made a smaller portion and was quick and easy!