- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Muffins
Sort By :
"This is the first muffin recipe I have tried and I'm very satisfied. I used orange instead of lemon. Texture is smooth and taste is delicous. At last I've found a simple and flavorful recipe."
"These would be good of you hollowed out a small portion and filled with lemon curd before the meringue. The lemon curd would be that tartness the cupcakes don't have."
"These muffins are so good. The meringue was easy too. I put the meringue in a plastic bag and cut a small hole at bottom corner. Easy breezy. My granddaughter said the only thing that would make these better was if there was a filling. I'm working on that.. I also brought them to a dinner with friends. They look beautiful."
"Loved the flavor of these muffins! Making the meringue was so easy and adds a nice touch. Thanks!"
"very tasty and far easier to make than I was anticipating."