- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Muffins(20)
Sort By :
These muffins are so good. The meringue was easy too. I put the meringue in a plastic bag and cut a small hole at bottom corner. Easy breezy. My granddaughter said the only thing that would make these better was if there was a filling. I'm working on that.. I also brought them to a dinner with friends. They look beautiful.
Loved the flavor of these muffins! Making the meringue was so easy and adds a nice touch. Thanks!
very tasty and far easier to make than I was anticipating.
I made these tonight and the lemon flavor was not very strong. I followed the recipe exactly. I will try again and add more extract.
Loved them. The batter was amazing and I had to force myself to actually bake them. Not to heavy or to sweet either.