- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in water. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cake Roll
Sort By :
"Incredibly easy and absolutely delicious. I'm not much of a baking genius but this came out lovely. Didn't have the right pan nor did I have kitchen towel, used substitutes for both but it came out well :D Here are some pictures :) https://kiliguinon.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/lemon-swiss-roll/A must try :D"
"Im going to try it again but mine came out like a stale sandwich very dry. I left it less minutes than it said. I followed step by step but ill try leaving it less time in the oven"
"Ths is light and refreshing. Cake rolls are so simple to make but get rave reviews every time I serve them."
"I jazzed it up with using sugar free lemon gelatin in the cake batter. I used Splenda instead of sugar for both cake and filling. Added lemon zest to both also. Instead of the powder sugar I added a lemon flavored (1/4 tsp of lemon juice in place of vanilla)meringue to it and baked till light brown. Garnished it with lemon twist and spearmint leaves. Lovely presentation and I think the changes were very refreshing."
"It was easy to make and was delicious."