Lemon Bar Trifle Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
- LEMON LAYER:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine flour and pecans; stir in butter. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and flour. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Crumble the baked pecan mixture; set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Just before serving, in a 3-qt. trifle bowl, layer 1 cup each pecan mixture, lemon mixture and cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Bar Trifle
Sort By :
"My entire family ADORES this recipe, as does my work family :)"
"very good and a pretty dessert to make for company!"
"This is a wonderful recipe, very rich. A little time consuming, but I will make again. It makes a pretty dish and a lot of people asked for the recipe."
"I gave this recipe 3 stars because it was WAY too sweet. My guests all enjoyed the shortbread layer and the lemon layer, but the cream cheese layer with 3 cups of confectioners sugar overwhelmed the recipe. I would make this recipe again, but would decrease the sugar to 1 cup. That would make all the difference. I also added some sliced strawberries to the layers and found that to be a wonderful addition."
"Sounds wonderful - if using cans of lemon pie fill - what size are the cans?"