Pretty layers of cheesecake and pumpkin star in this prize-winning torte. Not too heavy, it's especially nice with a big holiday meal. There's never a morsel left!—Ruth Ann Stelfox, Raymond, Alberta
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar and eggs until fluffy. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine pumpkin, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over low heat 10-12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°; or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into pumpkin mixture; cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour over cream cheese layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over pumpkin layer. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Layered Pumpkin Dessert in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p61
Reviews for Layered Pumpkin Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review