Layered Pumpkin Dessert Recipe
Pretty layers of cheesecake and pumpkin star in this prize-winning torte. Not too heavy, it's especially nice with a big holiday meal. There's never a morsel left!Ruth Ann Stelfox, Raymond, Alberta
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar and eggs until fluffy. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine pumpkin, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over low heat 10-12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°; or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into pumpkin mixture; cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour over cream cheese layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over pumpkin layer. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Layered Pumpkin Dessert in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p61
Reviews for Layered Pumpkin Dessert(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2011
This recipe is much more time consuming than it is worth. There are other pumpkin recipes similar to this that are much easier and tastier.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Pumpkin Desserts >