It wouldn’t be fall without pumpkin-flavored everything. From pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin bread, the classics return every year for a reason. They’re delicious! And while there are a number of drool-worthy pumpkin pie recipes to choose from, this one is easy as, well, pie! With our no-bake pumpkin pie, you just mix and refrigerate, then dig in.
Ingredients for No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Cream cheese: This is the base of the cream cheese layer in our double-layer pumpkin pie. You can use whatever cream cheese you have on hand, whether it be full-fat or low-fat. Just make sure it’s softened so it can fully incorporate with the other ingredients.
- Canned pumpkin: This is the base of the pumpkin layer. Reach for pureed pure pumpkin in the baking aisle, not pumpkin pie filling. Butternut squash puree can also be used in place of pumpkin.
- Instant pudding: Instant pudding is one of the keys to this quick and easy pie. You can use vanilla pudding or pumpkin-flavored pudding if you can find it.
- Graham cracker crust: Use a store-bought crust for the quickest option, or go all in with our homemade graham cracker crust.
- Spices: We use classic autumnal spices here. Cinnamon, ginger and cloves add a subtle sweetness and a wonderful, warm aroma.
Step 1: Make the cream cheese layer
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar and milk, and mix well with a wooden spoon or a hand mixer until smooth. Gently fold in 1-1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Spoon the mixture into the graham cracker crust, and smooth it out until it reaches the edge of the crust.
Step 2: Make the pumpkin filling
In a large bowl, whisk together the cold milk and instant pudding mixes until well combined. Stir in the pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
Step 3: Fill and refrigerate
Spread the pumpkin filling over the cream cheese layer. Top with dollops of the remaining whipped topping. Use a spatula to spread out the whip in a nice layer. Refrigerate the pie for at least three hours before cutting so the layers have time to set.
- Add nuts: Add chopped pecans or walnuts for a crunchy texture and nutty flavor.
- Splash in some booze: A tiny splash of bourbon adds a big flavor that blends seamlessly with the pumpkin and whip.
- Try a new crust: Make this pie with any variety of crumb crusts using whatever you’ve got on hand, from pretzels to Nilla wafers.
How to Store No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
Keep your pumpkin pie fresh by storing it, covered, in the fridge for up to two days.
No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Tips
Can you use a different crust for no-bake pumpkin pie?
You can use virtually any cookie or nut in no-bake crusts. Try this double-layer pumpkin pie with shortbread, gingersnaps or even Oreos to discover which one you love most.
Can you use homemade whipped cream instead of frozen whipped topping?
You can always substitute homemade whipped cream for the frozen whip. Use heavy whipping cream for a classic whip, or make it thicker and tangier by whipping in some sour cream as well.
How do you serve no-bake pumpkin pie?
Enjoy this pie with a glass of dessert wine or a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream—or both!