Two-Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 5 large potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir orange juice, orange zest, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer meat mixture to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and remaining salt and pepper; mash until smooth. Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 410 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 8g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 23, 2019
Sorry, have to concur with Anthony. Shepherds Pie is a lamb dish (clue is in the name) and Cottage Pie is Beef. Different dishes. Not two names for one dish.
Feb 12, 2019
Sorry Marie, but I have to correct you about the cottage pie and shepards pie, cottage pie is made with beef mince and topped with cheese for the roof, and shepards pie is made with lamb mince.
Jun 14, 2012
My family really did not like this recipe. I liked it's bones, but not the final product. If I were to ever make this again, I would cut down on the orange zest and the nutmeg - both made it too bitter. I may take bits and pieces of this recipe (the sweet potatoes mixed w/regular, the dijon/rice vinegar in the mashed spuds, etc.) and come up with something more similar in taste to regular shepherd's pie as I won't be using this recipe as is
Apr 27, 2012
This is a twist on Shepard's pie with sweet potato...Orange is a great pairing with sweet potato as any chef, including Gordon Ramsay would tell you. Consult the book Culinary Artistry and see for yourself. If you would like to stray from a traditional sheperd's pie, try it then comment.
Mar 23, 2012
Absolutely terrific when cooking for the elderly. This dish has great flavor, textures and is easy on the denturesThe vinegar adds a great flavor to the pototoes, and it does freeze/thaw well.
Mar 19, 2012
I followed the recipe exactly - even added the dijon mustard which my family doesn't usually like, and using half sweet potatoes and half regular. It was fine, but we decided to stick with only white potatoes for our Shepherd's Pie in the future. Since you can't have Two-Potato Shepherd's Pie without using two varieties of potatoes, we won't be having this again.
Feb 16, 2012
Delicious! The flavors are wonderful. Usually have to poor ketchup on my shepherd's pie, but not this one!