Italian Meatball Subs Recipe
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 7 Italian rolls, split
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and milk; add the bread crumbs, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add beef and sausage; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes; turn and broil 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomato sauce and paste, onion, green pepper, wine or broth, water and seasonings; pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Serve on rolls. Sprinkle with shredded cheese if desired. Yield: 6-7 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Meatball Subs(8)
Sort By :
The meatballs for this sandwich were so tender and juicy! I was worried they might dry out in the crock pot, but they were moist and had a lot of flavor. The sauce was also delicious. Even my 8-year-old, who hates anything in tomato sauce, went back for more! I served these on whole wheat french rolls, but next time I think I'll serve them either by themselves or over pasta - the bread just wasn't necessary. They are that good!
This is an excellent recipe. I did not use any salt because I have high blood pressure, but it did not need it. I added grated low-fat mozzarella to the sandwiches. Next time I plan to put the mozzarella on the buns and broil them for a minute or so before adding the meatballs.
Very good and flavorful! This recipe is a keeper and will be making it again. This was easy to put together and I love using the crockpot.
I've never had much luck with meatballs....they were either too dry or fell apart or were greasy...so I almost didn't try this recipe, but I'm so glad that I did! These were easy to make up and just took a few minutes to brown under the broiler. I love the fact that you finish cooking them in the crock pot in the sauce - keeping them tender & juicy. I used lean ground beef along with the sausage and they had such a good flavor. I may add a jar of pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce next time just so we will have a little extra for the subs. I also used quick release foil on the broiler pan for a fast clean-up. Thanks for the great recipe!
I have a family of picky eaters & this was a HIT! It was also so simple to make. I love that it cooks in the crockpot & is ready when we are ready to eat! It is def one to add to our 'favorites' cookbook!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >