Incredible Coconut Cake Recipe
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Incredible Coconut Cake(52)
Sort By :
I thought the cake was really good. I don't eat coconut cake but I will make this again! Great recipe!
I made a healthy version of the frosting using:
1pkg softened fat-free cream cheese
2/3 cup EV Coconut oil (semi-firm)
4 1/4 c powdered sugar
3 Tblsp plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp almond extract
About 1/2 Tblsp lemon zest
1 cup shredded coconut
Absolutely Fantastic Cake! Thanks for the recipe. This is a keeper.
Great. I will put this recipe away for future baking, but I will cut down on the sugar. Way too sweet. But still great
This was my only fourth cake as I recently started taking interest in baking. To start with I only go with easiest recipes with readily available ingredients so I chose this one.. and I must say this is"absolutely incredible cake". I had to adjust the sugar quantity as given is too much for us. I served this cake with chocolate glaze. My husband was blown away by the taste and presentation. Thank you for the easiest and tastiest coconut cake I ever had. Looking forward for more baking adventure...
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coconut Cake >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >