Memorable family meals were complete when these tangy bars were served, my husband remembers from his childhood. That's still true today for our family. Their sweetness rounds out the meal, but the lemony flavor keeps them light. Don't expect many leftovers once family and friends taste these bars! —Denise Baumert, Dalhart, Texas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat flour, butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, extract, baking powder and salt until frothy; pour over hot crust.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool completely in dish on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, sprinkle with orange peel strips. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Bars in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p37
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Lemon Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review