Katie Koziolek of Hartland, Minnesota adds a hint of lemon to these delightful sugar cookies. For make-ahead convenience, freeze the dough up to three months, then thaw in the fridge before baking and decorating them.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Green food coloring
- Red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into three 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and food coloring until smooth; transfer to a resealable plastic bag; drizzle over cookies in the shape of a Christmas tree. Place one red-hot at the top of each tree. Yield: about 9-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Sugar Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p68
Reviews for Holiday Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2009
"This is the BEST sugar cookie i have ever made. It's more of a butter/sugar cookie which is great. They roll out perfectly for cutouts."