People eagerly anticipate these tasty cookies as part of our "season's eatings" each year. The surprise cherry center surrounded by a fluffy cookie makes this treat especially fun. With the chocolate coating, they're almost like candy—and always the first to go! —Marianne Blazowich Jeannette, Pennsylvania
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, well drained
- 10 ounces white candy coating, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening, divided
- 8 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Form 2 teaspoons of dough into a ball. Flatten ball with a glass coated with cooking spray. Place a cherry in the center; roll dough around cherry. Repeat with remaining dough and cherries. Place balls 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Grate 2 oz. white candy coating; set aside. In a microwave, melt remaining white coating with 2 tablespoons shortening; stir until smooth. Melt dark coating with remaining shortening in a microwave; stir until smooth.
- Dip half the cookies into white coating; allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with pecans. Dip the remaining cookies in dark coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with grated white coating. Let stand until set. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Hideaways in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p29
Reviews for Holiday Hideaways
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review