"I adapted the original recipe for this flavorful soup so I could make it in the slow cooker," writes Lydia Kroese from Minnetonka, Minnesota. "It's ideal for staff luncheons at the school where I work, since we don't have easy access to a stove or oven."
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the next 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Stir into slow cooker; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Pasta Tomato Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p49
Reviews for Hearty Pasta Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review