- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the celery, onions, leeks, green pepper, jalapenos and garlic in oil until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, water, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream and green onions until blended; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Leek and Potato Soup
Sort By :
The soup was okay, but a little too spicy for my husband and I. If I do make it again, I would leave the jalapeno peppers out and add the chicken broth for extra flavor.
My husband and I both loved this soup! I used chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth. Perhaps that's why we didn't notice anything missing as some reviewers have. Try it that way.
I made this soup for dinner last night, with a few modifications. I left out the jalapenos and used half chicken broth/half vegetable broth. I also add a tsp of Mrs. Dash seasonging and some fresh parsley. It was really good! Light and healthy, yet full of flavor. I love potato soup, but my husband isn't a huge fan. He really liked this one, and I will definitely make it again.
I followed this recipe as written and it seemed to be missing something. Sitting over night didn't help. Not something I would make again
I made this soup the night before I was having guests for dinner. At first I thought the soup was missing something so I added a pinch of cayenne pepper, still thought it was mising something. I refrigerated over night and reheated for dinner, it was delicious. I think the flavors just needed to come together overnight. I will make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Soup >