Habanero Apricot Jam Recipe
- 3-1/2 pounds fresh apricots
- 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 2 to 4 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 7 cups sugar
- Pit and chop apricots; place in a Dutch oven. Stir in lemon juice. Place habaneros in a blender; add a small amount of apricot mixture. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- For best results, let processed jam stand at room temperature for 2 weeks to set up. Yield: 11 half-pints.
Reviews for Habanero Apricot Jam
Sort By :
"I used 8 jalapeno peppers and nectarines and peaches instead of apricots. It is a great recipe, and the peppers are not to be feared.It is worth a try, even if you don't like the kick of peppers!"
"Don't let the Habanero scare you--I used 3 and there is a nice balance between the apricot and the heat. It is very subtle. My husband and daughter like it on toast with cream cheese."
"why is so much sugar needed? aren't the apricots very sweet to start with?"
"Excellent, easy recipe. I had a batch of frozen apricots and some I heat packed last year so I mixed them to make up the quantity needed. I had about six habaneros also frozen (freezing tames them but don't be fooled, they are still fierce). I chopped the habaneros and added half to the recipe. It was a bit strong but when I added all the sugar it was a bit too mild so I added the rest of the chopped habaneros. Turned out perfect. The step of blending the habaneros with a bit of apricot can be adjusted. Chop the habaneros separately and add them in portions until you get the heat you prefer."
"Couldn't decide to use two peppers afraid it would be mild and not four because it would be too hot so settled for three and it was just perfect! This jam rocks, I've been canning for over twenty years now and was looking for something alittle different... Prep was pretty easy using the food processor on pulse to give me a nice texture and the blender to make combine the habaneros with the apricot mixture. The flavor is incredible and it makes eleven half pints so it's nice for gift giving."