Caramel Apple Jam
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Process: 10 min.
- 6 cups diced peeled apples (1/8-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven, combine the apples, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook and stir over low heat until apples are tender. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 83 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
May 20, 2018
This jam recipe has a risk of botulism if stored for long. Butter shouldn't be processed in a water bath canner - only a pressure canner can safely process this low acid ingredient. Also, apple peels are in themselves a source of pectin, so the need for a pectin packet isn't necessary.
Apr 21, 2018
it is a very good apple jam. Really only recipe that is simple and uses apples that are needed to be used. Defiantly would make it again.
Sep 6, 2017
This jam is delicious. It is really sweet and tastes just like apple pie! It's great as a topping for vanilla ice cream because it has the perfect consistency to drizzle. It's not runny, but isn't set completely. This would make a wonderful gift too!
Aug 2, 2017
How long does it take for the jam to set? I followed the directions to a t. It's been about 3 hours.
Nov 25, 2016
I made this jam this fall and now have tons of it. So we thought we would make up gift baskets for Christmas. Do you have any suggestions as to what else to put in the basket besides the jam? I will be honest, I eat it on vanilla ice cream. What about a blonde brownie mix or something like that?
Nov 15, 2016
the recipe gives 6cups of fruit. also 5cups of sugar; (2 3). normally in JAM recipes, one uses 1/2 (half) the WEIGHT of the fruit (NOT the volume!) AFTER boiling, in sweetness; that can be honey, Splenda or a combination. SO, keep in mind, 6cups of fruit is NOT the same as 6cups of sugar IN WEIGHT!!(and to give you another example: a cup  of TABLE salt is not the same WEIGHT as a cup  of KOSHER salt!)
Oct 25, 2016
How much chunky homemade apple sauce would you use for this recipe?
Feb 28, 2016
. I did nothing to this recipe to change It. Tastes like it's supposed to. Love it.Thank you Robert for such a wonderful recipe!!! I will make again. Oh I forgot,I did also add just a little more water 1/2 cup. I think the kind of Apple determines the water,seems like certain ones take more water. Stoves are different also I used a glass top,they get hotter at times. But still the fact remains your jam rocks!!
Sep 25, 2015
I made this recipe twice. The first time before reading the other reviews so I panicked about such a small amount of liquid. I added about a quarter cup of water. It worked out OK. The second time I did exactly as instructed and I can't tell the difference between the 2 batches. Yes the apple and pectin mix is rather dry. It feels more like a saute than a boil but it still works great! Yes it is a very sweet recipe and no I don't get a caramel flavor but it tastes like apple pie on a biscuit. Or whatever you put it on. I am planning on making this many times again in the future. I got 6.5 half pint jars from first batch and 6 from the second batch. Being high altitude I process a minimum of 15 minutes. I love this recipe.
May 22, 2015
My absolute favorite jam recipe ever!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.