At least two generations of my family have enjoyed the recipe for these light, delicate, orange-flavored cookies.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Juice and peel of 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice and peel to creamed mixture. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.
- For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies when cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p48
Reviews for Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 7, 2014
"Loved them. Easy to prepare. I added chopped walnuts to one batch & dried cranberries to another batch. Both were equally good. Will make them again."
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2012
"Yummy!! Easy to make and the hubby loved them!!!"