Golden Danish Twists Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, butter, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in cream, lemon peel and vanilla.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise down half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist and loosely coil each strip. Tuck end under; pinch to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake twists 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- For icing, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and lemon peel until blended. Drizzle over warm twists. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Golden Danish Twists(1)
Sort By :
Great recipe for a wonderfully delicious treat!! Breads usually don't turn out too well for me, but these rolls are perfect! I cut the ingredients in half since this recipe makes more than enough for my household of two. Also, my husband and I are not huge fans of lemon, so I tweaked the icing recipe to better suit our tastes. (I replaced the lemon juice with milk and added a little vanilla for flavoring). This recipe is definitely a keeper!!