- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken into pieces
- 16 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the first five ingredients on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, honey, nutmeg and spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until syrup reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Discard spice bag; transfer syrup to airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Yield: 2 cups.
Originally published as Gingerbread-Spiced Syrup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p169
Reviews for Gingerbread-Spiced Syrup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2014
"I made this and gave it as a gift for my son's and they loved it and asked for the recipe. It's a winner."
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2014
"This is amazing. Great flavor! Great to make and share for holiday gifts!"